Pink clay: Ingredient in focus
What is pink clay?Pink clay is a type of mineral rich soft clay called kaolin. Kaolin comes in a range of shades varying from white to red with pink sitting, bang in the middle of it. Depending on the place of harvest, the mineral composition of the clays vary. That’s why you would often find names of places as pre-fix to a type of clays.
Coming back, the pink hue in kaolin comes from iron oxide, the higher its percentage, the darker the clay will be. On a scale, white kaolin is known to be calming whereas red kaolin has high oil absorption properties. Pink clay brings the benefits of these two in a gentle and balanced manner to the skin. It is also known as rose clay courtesy its beautiful rosy natural color.
Benefits of pink clay in skincare
- Detoxifying (primary property of all clays) in action. Using it once a week will combat air pollution damage to the skin, keeping it in its most healthy state. The grime, oil and any foreign impurities that lead to blackheads and breakouts will be absorbed out and washed away.
- Encourages cell recycle to result in spot reduction, even skin tone, smoothen texture and brighten complexion.
- Gentler and far less drying than other clays so people with dry and sensitive skin can use it comfortably without experiencing excessive dehydration.
- Minimizes pores, absorbs excess oil and balances sebum production, providing exactly the care oily skin needs.
Uses of pink clay
- As a face/body mask by itself for a simple and fuss-free gentle detox.
- As a part of formulations with other active ingredients to bring combined benefits.
- Combines well with kitchen ingredients commonly used for DIY skincare at home to create a variety of masks and scrubs.
- While pink clay is quite gentle amongst the clay family, it is not meant for everyday use, unless it’s a part of formulations made by professionals for daily use.
- Avoid using metal equipment while using the product. Go for wood, ceramic or glass as these are non-reactive and more environment friendly options. In absence of these, plastic can be used as the alternative safe option.
- Folks with dry skin type should use this in combination with moisturising ingredients to counter excessive dryness due to oil and moisture absorbing properties of clay.
- Apply moisturiser within minutes after washing off your clay mask to enjoy a comfortable, clean, fresh and rejuvenated skin.
Try our Pink Clay bestsellers